Reduce staff increases from 5+ new positions to 3. My preference is the following (but note that some CityTV function could still be covered by part-time contract work (as they are now) so the reduction in TV service would not be as great)
- No 50% position for police emergency planning (that position was covered last year but the Chief would instead like to use it to increase dispatch capacity).
- 1 new position instead of 1.16 positions for the library (more staff hours are needed because of the Sunday library hours) Further savings could come from the library being open only on Sundays outside of summer.
- 1 new position instead of 2 positions in CityTV even though that means we won't be able to tape and run the lights for as many community functions in the big room in the city building (which is the principle use of these positions)
- 1 new position instead of 2 in the recreation department
- Add 1/2 time sustainability specialist to the list
I'd propose this additional $430,000 in savings
- Reducing Public Art from $20,000 to $10,000
- Reducing a 'Paper Streets' project from $20,000 to $5,000
- Save costs by reducing the number of phones for city staff (currently 160 desk phones and 130 cell phones and 200 voicemail accounts for 157 positions)
- Lower computer equipment costs by changing replacement cycle from 4 to 5 years
- Cut either the $20K for IT 'visioning' or the $20K for library visioning (and do the other project in the following year)
- $400,000 reduction in the Equipment Replacement Fund (still adding $900,000 and seeing a projected growth in the balance)
- Add $10K to digitize more old city files so records are accessible to residents
- Add $5K for a Communications contract to have staff work with a consultant to see if there are creative ways to use our Cable Franchise surplus equipment funds to create more transparency
I would factor in additional revenue to the speed camera fund (because of new cameras)
Changes like these could create the space to provide the $650,000 in tax relief as well as support additional initiatives that are important to residents and that other Councilmembers are likely to propose.